Sunday, April 10, 2011

Tasigna, Car Seat, and Pregnancy Brain

Well Ian's platelets finally went high enough that he could start taking his medications again. So he has been, only we've decided to switch to Tasigna for good. Its a newer "cousin" of Gleevec, so it works a little better, and it's not supposed to bring his blood counts down as low, so hopefully there won't be any recurrence of low, low platelet counts. He started back on the Tasigna a week and a half ago and so far things look good. The last blood test before the Tasigna his platelets were 99 and his WBC were low. Then his blood test from Wednesday his platelets were 105 and WBC were normal. We'll have to see how things look this week. It's really easy to forget that he has leukemia since he is perfectly fine. Even when his platelets were 25 he didn't even really have bruises left from the blood tests, which is pretty impressive.

The car seat we ordered has arrived. Ian took it out of the box and was figuring out everything but had a slight problem. He couldn't figure out how to take the actual seat off of the base. He looked over the whole car seat, even taking the cover off for a good ten minutes trying to find the latch. Then when he couldn't find that, he read the owners manual trying to find out how it worked. I was in the room studying while all of this was happening, so after maybe 15 minutes I went over to see what I could do. I did it in like 5 seconds. Then when Ian was saying that the owner's manual was flawed and didn't show the release thing, I showed him right where it was. It was a very proud moment for me, especially considering all of the dumb things I've been saying and doing that Ian will probably tease me about for ever. All I can say is that pregnancy brain is a real thing. Of course, in all fairness, Ian probably has never used a car seat before, while I have, so I knew where the release likely would be.

I'm 30 weeks along now so 3/4 of the way (or 4/3 as I told Ian--pregnancy brain). Fred is still moving around as much as ever, which as all of you who have been pregnant know is a good and a bad thing. She seems to know exactly when I have to go to the bathroom, but for some reason can't get to the bathroom quite yet, and then proceeds to do jumping jacks on my bladder. She never does that when a bathroom is handy. It's really scary that we could have a term baby in just 2 months. We are definitely not ready. Aside from the car seat and a few clothes, we don't really have anything. And, of course, being first-timers, we don't really know what we do need. We are taking a Lamaze class, so we do have that. We had our first class on Wednesday. The teacher actually was a guest speaker in my OB class last semester, so that makes me feel better about her. A lot of the information was redundant for me because of nursing, but I think its good for Ian to know how it works. Of course, the real reason we're going is for the relaxation and pain relief methods anyway, and we're still getting that.

General Conference last weekend was great. My sister came down and hung out with us, which was really nice. Even though she only lives in Salt Lake, somehow we don't see each other that often. And of course conference itself was amazing. We are so blessed to be able to have a prophet that is on the earth today who can teach us what God wants us to know.

3 comments:

  1. What kind of car seat did you end up buying? Maybe Ian could find a side job of reviewing and editing car seat manuals for first-time dads like himself. :) I'm glad you are moving along well in your pregnancy, Rachel. I hope your "pregnancy brain" functions well for your tests, etc. That must be so hard. Thinking of you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that the meds seems to be working better. I will have to go through my clothes bins and bring you some stuff in June when we come. I have the clothes stuff covered, for sure! (As long as they are not too worn or stained...) All you really need is somewhere for baby girl to sleep, a car seat, diapers/wipes, and a few clothes and blankets. The rest is nice but not necessary. Good luck with finals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah! You are so far along! Crazy business. Are you sticking around summer? If so, I hope to see you and Ian since I've been terrible seeing you this semester.

    ReplyDelete